2020 marks the 8th year of the Calgary Zoo Penguin Walk! From January to March, the king penguin colony heads out on the zoo grounds for a daily enrichment walk in the winter months and visitors get to experience the fun. This incredible program allows visitors to get an up-close look at the group of king penguins as they explore, exercise, and waddle their way through the zoo. This is a free-choice activity for the penguins and is subject to weather conditions.
- The king penguins will be walking every day, weather dependent, at 11:00 a.m.
- In the wild, king penguins can travel far distances to find open water; giving them the choice of a daily walk is tremendous for their welfare.
- The birds will begin their public walks in front of the Penguin Plunge building and continue down to the Discovery Trail Bridge before looping back up to their habitat.
- The walks are dependent on the birds’ desire to join in and the birds have the option of walking the full route or a partial one.
- The walk will be cancelled if the weather is 6°C and higher or drops below -25°C. The walk may be cancelled if the conditions are too windy.
- If the walk needs to be cancelled, it will be communicated on the zoo’s website and social media channels.
- The earliest the walk will be cancelled is 10:00 a.m. and the latest is 10:45 a.m.
- Visitors can catch up to 17 king penguins (15 adults and 2 chicks) participating in the daily walk including: Diana, Grace, Hera, Arthur, Caesar, Tut, Solomon, Nero and chicks, George and Napoleon.
- Included in the price of admission