- This event has passed.
Alberta Biodiversity Festival
September 16, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pmFree – $30
It’s in our nature
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2023 | Time: 10 AM to 4 PM
From the rainbow trout to burrowing owls and whooping cranes, Alberta’s landscape is filled with rich flora and fauna. Developed in partnership with the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo, Alberta Biodiversity Festival highlights the biodiversity in our province and the actions we can take to protect our diverse ecosystems.
Saturday, September 16, Bow Habitat Station will kick-off the Alberta Biodiversity Festival with a splash of interactive, hands-on games and activities, fish feeding and much more. Featuring 12 special event exhibitors and our event partners at the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo, this community celebration will leave you feeling more connected than ever to Alberta’s unique biodiversity.
- Peer into a microscope and zoom your way into the world of mites, aquatic invertebrates, moss, and lichens.
- Step into the bat box and create a flappy bat craft to take home!
- How do you measure up against the roots of a native prairie plant? Stand tall and see if you can outgrow various prairie plant roots.
- Wings, bugs and deer antlers! Run your hands along the pelts, skulls and furs of various Albertan species to challenge your mind-body connection.
- Embark on an outdoors scavenger hunt in search of local biodiversity and get involved with citizen-science through iNaturalist.
- How can you protect the quality and quantity of our bodies of water? Design a pledge pin – then wear your custom-created symbolic piece with pride!
- Collect cool prizes and giveaways including wildflower seeds, native wildflower guides, westslope cutthroat trout pins and much more!